YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: Toddler leggings and sweatpants material?  (Read 335 times)

yourstrulyalex

• View Profile
Toddler leggings and sweatpants material?
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:42:04 PM »
Iím looking for material that will hold up to toddlers crawling and climbing. What kind of knit is best?
Thanks!

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Toddler leggings and sweatpants material?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »
Try using cotton/lycra blend for leggings. The knees won't bag out and they are comfortable to wear.

For sweatpants there are so many options. Some are french terry, regular knit terry, fleece, velour (love!) and sweatshirt fabric. They have all held up to the crawling stage. They will last and can be passed down to other kids! You don't have to worry about them wearing out except maybe jammie pants made out of normal shirt type knits. Those end up shredded at the knees usually for boys being crazy kids. I have to rehem to shorts before handing them down. They last for several months for an 8 yr old. For a toddler they grow too fast to wear out.

ablemable

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 09:45:19 PM »
This might sound strange but I believe the best materials are Men's and women's T-shirts. Why? First toddlers grow quickly so they won't be in the same size very long. Second, there's plenty of material in a large T-shirt to make a pair of leggings for toddlers and they can be picked up cheaply from several sources. Sources, your family closets, Goodwill has a great selection of lightly used T-shirts, and T-shirts can always be found on sale in multitudes of colors for cheap. Finally there are several videos on YouTube that show how to easily and quickly make leggings using these materials.

Ann759

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 09:45:50 PM »
For leggings, I look for something with lycra - heavier weight for the winter and lightweight for the summer. I use up my ponte scraps to make toddler pants and they are incredibly strong. For sweatpants the fabric doesn't need lycra so sweatshirt fabric is fine.

db415

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 09:46:15 PM »
I like French terry. With some stretch if it's for a close fitting legging. It comes in various weights, some are similar in warmth to a jersey, but all seem to hold up a little better.

mistycruzin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 09:46:44 PM »
Cotton Lycra for leggings as they need to stretch mores.
For sweatpants, it depends on how warm you need/want them. You can use fabric with minimal stretch (it sweatshirt fleece) fine for sweatpants.
You can also add double knees, these help protect the kids knees and make the pants last longer and the first repair easier :)