YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: dress forms  (Read 10514 times)

TayChan

• View Profile
dress forms
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:51:34 AM »
I haven't been sewing very long, but have wished more than once that I had a dress form to use during construction.

Does this seems like an extravance to someone new to this craft? Does anyone have any insights on brand, price and features?

Thanks.

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: dress forms
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »
I actually posted an article about dress forms on my blog. The link to it is below - In my opinion dress forms are great to use even as a beginner. It will get you used to fitting the dress better, for yourself or even if you eventually have customers.

http://shannonssewandsew.com/2018/01/11/should-i-buy-a-dressmaker-form-mannequin/

oddesy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:56:19 AM »
I have been sewing a long time and just a year ago I got a dress form - Twinfit from Hancocks- a cheaper one just around $120. I wish I had gotton one a long time ago. Mine is adjustable (most are- or you can pad them).

I don't think I'm using mine to the full advantage but I'm trying. I have made marks on mine and it seems if something looks good on her then it also fits me.

I still seem to try my garment on a zillion times when making something, as old habits are hard to die, but slowly I'm learning to trust the fit on her.

There are many different kinds out there. Some people even make their own.

June Moran

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 09:56:48 AM »
Get a copy of the current Threads magazine. (March 2006) It has a great article on dress forms.

Max50

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 09:57:33 AM »
And there's always Jean Haas' website www.dressformdesigning.com

You can buy her CD's that explain how to make your own dressform and/or pants form and make a revolving stand. I didn't buy her CD's, but rather took her class offered here. Which, BTW, was outstanding and I got a great dressform which shows my body "variations" extremely well.

JCarroll217

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 09:58:20 AM »
I have the My Double from Dritz. I would like to pad the waist, but not loose the marking it has on it for an even waist. Yes, my waist itself is not even, but that is not the point at this time.

I know how to pad the bust and hips. I will not loose any marks there. But the ones for the waist come in handy when I do a skirt. I need to learn to make my hems even by making the changes at the waist, but I do not know how to do that yet. I will learn this year.

TayChan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 10:00:03 AM »
Everyone, thank you.

Shannon and Max50, thanks for the link. I can certainly see how a dress form is beneficial. So using one should be a good option.