YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: Serger  (Read 528 times)

kayla

• View Profile
Serger
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:30:06 AM »
Hi my husband brought me a serger and i have never used one if anyone got any tips to help me thanks

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Serger
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:57:00 AM »
If you haven't ever used one first and foremost to get the most out of the serger you do well to at least try to make sense of some of the manual.

Today though, there are tons of videos on youtube that will show you how to mess around with your particular brand/model of serger. The problem is, of course, you can't ask questions if you aren't sure what exactly the individual is doing in the video. Sometimes finding a video is difficult for the model you have. Most of the time though it's not if you have a brother, singer, etc..

For now here are a few tips:

Practice threading the machine if you don't have a self-threading model. This is because it takes some getting used to in order to thread a serger. You will get faster if it doesn't, so don't let this frustrate you.

The serger will sew and cut so make sure that any pins are higher up on the fabric. If not you will have to take them away before the fabric gets to the machine itself. Some say you do better to sew without the pins but you are looking for trouble if you don't pin the two pieces of fabric together.

Take it slow, especially at first because the serger cuts as well. You can't rip out the seam and do it again like you can on a sewing machine. Once you run it through, that's it. No do-overs.

Practice with scrap fabrics and use them for the learning process. If you are paying 10-20 bucks a yard, you need to use this material on projects that you are confident with. Sometimes Hancocks, Walmart, and Hobby lobby will have a large bundle of fabric they are clearing out, or pieces they are selling for cheap. Start with those.

Hope this helps.

Lilly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:07:25 AM »
The first thing that intimidated me was the speed. Sergers can go up to 3 times faster  than your typical sewing machine. That was really hard for me to get use to that. When dealing with this, just keep in mind, practice makes perfect. The more you sit in front of your serger and even run scrap pieces of fabric through, the more comfortable youíll be with starting and stopping your very quick needles!

TayChan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:09:05 AM »
Your best tool is going to be your pedal. That might sound odd, but you donít have to have continuous speedy stream of sewing, itís actually a technique to serge a section then let your foot off the pedal while you regather your fabric and go for the next section. Never hesitate to slow your speed or just completely stop. It will make for more accurate serging and will look better.

Also you have to use better quality thread. Since sergers are so fast, the cheeper threads canít keep up. Maxilock and Toldilock are great options.

Janiesgotagun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:10:45 AM »
Something I don't think that was mentioned was a tip I picked up is - if you are having a hard time threading your serger try using tweezers.

Some can't thread their machine without tweezers and tweezers also help if you are trying to detangle thread that wraps up where it shouldnít. My advice, keep them handy!

kayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 05:09:16 AM »
Thank for all the lovely tips, it was abit of a surprise when i used it how fast it goes, can you slow it down at all, also i had abit of a play and getting the tention right is over my head so any tips i be greatful thanks have a good day xx

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 06:04:06 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying Kayla - I have had a busy weekend.

You can't slow it down typically with a setting on the machine (or I haven't seen it so there may be a machine or two out there that you can.) Typically with a serger you have to just learn to take it easy on the pedal. It takes time to get used to it if all you have done is worked on a regular sewing machine.

kayla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »
Thank you Sharon i didn't think you could but if i didn't ask lol

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 09:52:57 PM »
There are speed controls for anything electrical. My husband had a woodworking shop for years and tools such as routers etc can use external speed controls. That will slow down the serger - using this external switch. I can't recommend it though because I have no idea what effect it will have on the machine.

In my opinion the best bet is to slowly learn to use the pedal on the serger.

kayla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 04:30:15 PM »
Ok once I have time to get on it i should get use to it lol