YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: Cushions  (Read 577 times)

kayla

• View Profile
Cushions
« on: February 07, 2018, 05:00:46 AM »
Hi i want to make some cushions and as i haven't done alot of sewing, i would like to ask if i still need to be careful how i cut the fabric thabks

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Cushions
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:44:15 AM »
Most home dec has a 1/2 - 1 inch seam allowance. You do not want to cut or serge it narrower. There is quite a bit of stress on cushion seams and the wider seam allowance helps avoid fraying at the seam.

If you feel the fabric needs a seam finish, you can cut or serge the seams before sewing them together being careful not to trim more than a hair off the seam allowance.

I think that is what you are asking when you wanted to know if you had to be careful cutting the fabric? If not can you elaborate?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 10:00:09 AM by Administrator »

westvillian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:02:47 AM »
How wide to cut your strips also can depend on if you use piping/cording and the size of the piping and cording. I usually use 5/32" and cut my strips 1 5/8". Wrap a tape measure around the cording and add seam allowances. I usually add just a smidge more , like 1/16 - 1/8".

wildcat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:03:55 AM »
I just bought some commercial covers from Home Depot as part of a patio furniture set. The seams have 1/2 seams, no finishing. I had to push some stray threads out of the way when doing up the zippers. These are inexpensive (cheap?) coves with no piping.

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:25 AM »
Be sure to give us pictures of your work if you take any.

kayla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 07:10:21 AM »
Thank you everyone the info is very helpful and I will send photos if i know how to

kayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 05:15:03 AM »
Hey its me again. What seams do you use, i have been doing straight ones but want to check. Im self taught so always learning lol thanks
I have tried putting pics on but it says the file is to big xx

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 09:43:49 PM »
Just a straight seam if it's a small cushion like you put in a chair to sit on. Also depending on the cushion and it's purpose I would use a stronger thread than what you use in clothing.

Sorry Kayla about the images. You can size them down in even the simplest of programs such as microsoft paint. I tell you what if you want I will add them here myself if you can send me the images. I will send you a message here for your details.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 09:46:57 PM by Administrator »

kayla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 03:14:04 PM »
When doing the straight seams i do worry about them still fraying thou and i really don't know how to send you the pics Sharon lol xx

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 09:53:53 PM »
As long as you backstitch before starting and at the end of each seam, you should be fine.

kayla

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »
Yes i do that thank you.