YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: Lining fabric with stretch (that is natural)  (Read 393 times)

MadalineM291

• View Profile
Lining fabric with stretch (that is natural)
« on: February 06, 2018, 05:01:10 PM »
I am planning a vest from stretch denim and the pattern is lined . Thr pattern actually do not call for stretch fabric , but I like the comfort of the stretch woven .
But if I used non-stretchy lining, like my go to one bemberg rayon , the whole stretch aspect is lost .

I looked around but stretchy lining fabric seem to be all polyester, which makes me so hot .

What is out there from natural source fiber s? ( I know Rayon not technically natural fabric but breath as it would be becaue the fiber source is natural (

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Lining fabric with stretch (that is natural)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
I've seen stretch silk charmeuse and stretch silk crepe de chine. They cost more but not much more than bemberg (usually narrow, though.)

If your lining doesn't have to be slippery then you have a lot more options with the various cotton/lycra blends.

MadalineM291

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 05:02:08 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I look into stretch silk .

I had the impression that lining should be slippery. Is it not always the case ?
I am making a stretch denim vest ( for the wardrobe contest) and the denim cost me less than $10 . I assume a special silk charmuse would be triple of that. So if it is possible I would like to use some cheaper options

TayChan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 05:02:54 PM »
I got some nice stretch lining for Seattle Fabrics a while back. You can call them if you can't find it on the website.

yourstrulyalex

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 05:03:44 PM »
if your denim is not that stretchy, would cutting the lining on the bias give it enough "give"?

westvillian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
Dharma Trading sells stretch charmeuse for about $15/yard. You have to dye it but itís worth the trouble to me because I live in Florida and poly is not doable here. Check out Angela Wolf Dye class on PR. Good luck!

https://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/stretch-silk-charmeuse-12mm-45-inch.html?lnav=fabric_silk.html

Anne

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 05:05:12 PM »
Seems like overkill to line a denim vest with silk. Why not try a stretch cotton shirting? Not quite as slippery as silk but should work well enough.

yourstrulyalex

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 05:05:46 PM »
Technically speaking, there's actually no such thing as a natural fibre with stretch.... unless the fabric is cut on the bias. All stretch fabrics have a component of lycra/spandex to give them that elasticity and that does somewhat compromise their comfort/ability to breathe to a degree. Bemberg is my first choice for lining as well but when I want a stretch lining I use nylon tricot.