YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: sewing a pillow form  (Read 394 times)

MadalineM291

• View Profile
sewing a pillow form
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:41:42 AM »
I have an assortment of throw pillow cases that I've bought as souvenirs (currently lay flat but have zipper opening in the back). They've been in a closet waiting to be filled! From the little bit of research I've done online, it looks like I need to make a pillow form 1" bigger all the way around, to make sure it is filled.

So, if one pillow is 18x18, would you cut fabric 19x19, then fill it? I have some muslin to use for this task.

I suppose the other issue is to gauge how full to fill each form.

Many thanks.

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: sewing a pillow form
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 09:43:10 AM »
Use a 1" larger finished forms for pillows under 18" and 2" larger for more than 18". Add seam allowance also if you are making your own form.

Some are not a fan of loose fiberfill for filling pillows. You can fold cheap poly quilt batting and fold that to shape, then cover.

There is a brand of insert called NuFoam that I have liked. It is basically a very thick quilt batt that is about like a medium polyurethane foam in resistance.

db415

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 09:43:48 AM »
What do you want the pillows to feel like in the end?

If I'm using pillows purely as decor, I prefer a formed foam pillow. I would take the pillow to the store and look for a form approx. 1" bigger, as you stated. When you get the form home, place it in a clean trash bag and clasp the opening of the bag around the nozzle of a vacuum. Turn the vac on for just a few seconds to suck the air out. Place the form inside of the pillow cover keeping the opening of the bag held tight until you have the form in what seems like the best position. Then let the air back into the bag. It puffs up instantly and you should just have to do a small amount of adjusting, after tearing and removing the plastic bag.

For pillows I like to use (lounging on the sofa, as extra back support on a deep chair) I prefer bed pillows over loose polyfiberfill. It doesn't clump. My sis buys bed pillows at Kohl's that she throws into the washer and dryer. When they get a bit too flat they will comfortably 'squish into any number of sizes and they don't get lumpy.

If you can find old down pillows, they can actually be washed and dried and reused.

MarionBurgess

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 09:44:23 AM »
if you cut it 19x19 an use 1/2 " seam allowances the finished size will be 18x18 It's not always less expensive to make forms vs buying them. When I buy them I like the ones with the zipper, then I can add more filling if I want. You might buy 1 form to see if you like the size, or cut the muslin 20x20 and stuff and test

Melba Chambers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 09:44:58 AM »
I like that method--it gives you a nice firm pillow. I have mostly used purchased forms in my toss pillows--but last year I made a quilted pillow cover and I didn't know how big it would be when done, so I also made the pillow form inside (measured 1" larger than the finished pillow = same size as finished pillow when sewn up). I stuffed it very firmly with polyfill (I had gads left over from another project--1.5 BAGS of the stuff, b/c I didn't know how much I would need), and it has been in pretty good use for a year now and still feels nice and firm.

If you've not stuffed your own pillows much before, here's a trick to make it easier: You fold the insert "like a taco" and put it through the opening, then let it relax into the cover. Easy-peasy!

Merideth

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 09:45:33 AM »
When I sold custom pillows, etc., the workroom always used a pillow form one inch larger. So an 18 inch pillow form would get a 17x17 finished size cover. This forced the corners to fill and gave a full shape to the pillow. We used foam pillows covered with batt and closed with a zipper so the public cover and the interior cover could both be cleaned. Loose poly fluff was never used.

kayla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 03:23:43 PM »
Reading about the sizes of fabric to cut, i go for inserts that are 16in x16in so i generaly cut my cushion front at a 42cm x42cm and the envelope backs 42cm x 35cm. Does this sound right to you. The cushions do look lovely. But like to check what im doing is correct thank you xx

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 09:50:32 PM »
I do apologize Kayla - because I have been using inches and feet and not the metric system I can't give an accurate answer(the US never took it up but from what everyone says it's a much better measurement system.)

The measurements seem correct if I am understanding everything.

kayla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 01:54:10 PM »
Thanks for that Sharon and sorry it took me a while to get back, thats shift work for you, and the cushions covers look lovely so i will keep using that measurements, also when you mention forms is that another word for inserts lol

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 07:01:36 AM »
Yes, they are the same thing. Any other questions feel free to ask. That's what the forum is designed for - many others check these posts every day, so it isn't just helping you!