YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: Serge without cutting?  (Read 344 times)

Yvette

• View Profile
Serge without cutting?
« on: January 24, 2018, 10:42:14 PM »
This is hard to find any help on...

I want to overlock the edge of my fabric without cutting. Do I take the knife off? Leave it on but position the fabric differently? Is serging without cutting common? Or am I attempting to do something inadvisable?

I just wanted to finish the fabric edges before I construct the garment. Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 10:43:16 PM by Administrator »

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Serge without cutting?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 10:43:27 PM »
Sergers are really made to trim, and sometimes mess up pretty badly if you don't let them trim at least half a whisker. Try serging long scraps with the moveable blade disengaged, and more scraps, trimming just a hair, and I think you will see why at least skimming a little off is usually a good idea.

westvillian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 10:44:07 PM »
I think most sergers have the option to drop the knife down - mine just rotates out of the way. As long as you serge next to an edge it should be fine. It's really useful for stuff like elastics where you don't want to risk shaving even a little bit of the edge off.

yourstrulyalex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 10:46:38 PM »
I overlock the edges of many items with the blade disengaged. I have no problem with the item or my machine when I do this. I also sew many T-shirts without engaging the blade.

Leon Anderson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 10:47:15 PM »
My vote is inadvisable, but try both and see what you like. I like to shave the edge off, to get a clean finish. And my blades really do help hold the fabric in place as it goes through too. The tiny bit you shave off, won't matter. Instructions in the owners book, for disengaging the blades, if you can do it. You don't actually use a screw driver to take the blades out- way overkill.

ABrewer898

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 10:47:49 PM »
I always wash fabric before using and before putting it in the washing machine, I serge the cut edges together to prevent fraying. I just leave the blade in place and working and use the blade as the fabric guide, feeding the cut edge of the fabric right up against the blade but nothing is being cut off.

It works great and I've recently started thinking about using it to finish edges before sewing but I haven't tried it yet.

MWagner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 10:48:38 PM »
Not sure why you want to do this but you will get a better stitch with the knife cutting something. Sometimes I barely cut anything. I seldom sew wovens but when I do I have serged he edges with by barely cutting the edges. I also just sew the garment as usual and then serge the edges. I then press in one direction instead of pressing the seam open. I have also just over edged a woven seam (I like to do that on linens for some reason).