YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: Machines  (Read 10689 times)

Thea

• View Profile
Machines
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:49:12 AM »
Can I start at the beginning?  Machines.   Ease of operation to start. Plus capability to expand use.   Asking too much?  What brand?   What machine?  Any suggestions appreciated.   Thanks ever.

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Machines
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:56:56 AM »
Thea, there are various brands that are good for beginners. Singer, of course is one of the most popular.

Though I have 5 machines from a few different companies, I stick with my Singer. It's not a begging machine though. A beginner doesn't need an expensive one because it has all the bells and whistles and it will take you a while to get used to even the simple settings. So if you are serious about learning I suggest this price range

125-200 dollars

And it doesn't have to be loaded with options and settings. If you can't afford that price, it's understandable. You can learn on even the cheaper machines such as Walmart sells for about 75 dollars or so.

silvia_boni

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 07:54:29 AM »
Good morning.  I have received a basic Singer machine as " subliminal message" from my husband's mother.... and it's the nicest thing she has ever done for me ;D. For my needs I think it will be enough. When I 'll get better or more exigent I'll might go to spend some more for it. I saw on a selling websites that I could choose different "feets" for different purposes:  woul it be wise to be so curious and try them at this stage? Have a good day Silvia

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »
Sorry for the delay in replying here Sylvia, we have been moving and it's put me behind a bit in the replies.

At first you wouldn't probably have to worry about the feet - just yet anyway. Once you do get some time under your belt it would be good to experiment with various ones to see which works best for you and the items you are sewing.