YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: Beginner sewing machine  (Read 351 times)

MadalineM291

• View Profile
Beginner sewing machine
« on: January 19, 2018, 10:24:40 AM »
Hi,

Im fairly new to sewing and wanted to get a sewing machine, I was looking at this one

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Feature-Rich-Stitches-Auto-Size-Buttonholes/dp/B000JQM1DE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1458067677&sr=1-5&keywords=sewing+machine&linkCode=ll1&tag=hobbies07b4-20&linkId=58b97b0506ea3d50ef303e410d220944

Has anyone used this machine? Any opinions on it, or any other alternatives you guys can recommend?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:26:36 AM by Administrator »

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Beginner sewing machine
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »
I have not personally used that machine, but a lot of people have made a lot of great garments with it. The reviews for it are good as well.

One thing to keep in mind for a beginner machine. You can use almost any machine to start off but if you get one that is not in good shape or doesn't work well, then you can end up wanting to quit sewing. So IF you can afford it (and some can't so I understand this.) be prepared to spend about 150-200 dollars on a decent machine even at first. Singer is good, Brother is good.

It's hard to really say this machine or that because there are so many that you can choose from. Some like how one performs over another.

yourstrulyalex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 10:30:47 AM »
The Brother CS6000i is a great beginner machine. Plenty of bells and whistles that won't be outgrown too soon. My own sister and niece both have this machine and are quite happy with it.

oddesy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:31:49 AM »
I am not personally fond of Brother sewing machines, especially the low end ones, but know many people who use and like them. I am sort of the last stop before a real sewing machine shop with the kids in my area, and it seems to me that the new, low cost Brother and Singer owners have more trouble with their machines than the Janome and Juki owners with slightly more expensive machines. Or at least I untangle the same Brothers and Singers far more often than I see the Janomes and Jukis.

Janome especially has a lot of lower end machines that are based on tried and true carcasses they've been using for years. I swear every once in awhile, they just take the same basic machine, change the trim color and the model number, and voila -- a new machine model. The machine I know as the 2212 I'm sure has some brothers and sisters with different names. I know less about the low end Jukis (I sew on the F600 myself), but I did have the opportunity to sew on the 27z for several hours a year or so ago (I think it retails for about $120), and it felt much better than many of the machines in that price range, though the buttonhole could stand some improving.

JCarroll217

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 10:33:12 AM »
I have a slightly more expensive Brother that I love! It is my backup and my class machine, I've had it about 2 yrs and many people in my quilt guild, I also sew garments, have purchased the model I have after seeing it sew. It is on Amazon as well: Brother HC1850 It comes with many feet and a slide on extension table, lots of stitches, needle up/down etc

**I've never had one problem with my machine...not with the bobbin winder or anything else mechanical. My machine's model # is different from the Amazon model but is because I purchased from Costco and they have Brother put a different model # on the machines they get.

** I was recently in a class to make woven fabric baskets, we had to sew over multiple layers of interfacing, batting and fabric. My Brother zoomed right thru it all while others in the class with very expensive machines $3,000+ couldn't get their machines to sew thru it at all! It goes to show an expensive machine does not sew any better than a lesser, however, I would caution *not* to go with the absolute cheapest thing out there.

Happy Hunting!

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 10:37:04 AM »
The above comments show what I am talking about. The options out there are so many that saying one particular machine is the best fit for every beginner is difficult. But these are good suggestions here.

Gins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 03:59:15 PM »
I am a newbie as well and spent a lot of time on looking at reviews.  I bought the same sewing machine you are looking at and have not had any issues with it (other than the person using it).  I like that it is easy to thread, wind thread on a bobbin, insert the bobbin, and the manual has descriptions of all the extra feet that are included.  I bought a Singer Sewing Machine for my sister a few months later and found it to be a bit challenging to figure out the bobbin and threading.  This brother machine is very light weight and easy to use, which is good for me.  Good luck.

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 08:35:54 PM »
Thank you for your input on this Gins! They are good machines.

Saverio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 02:50:04 PM »
Hello all.  I'm a newbie and a beginner.
What got me into sewing was finding an old Kenmore 158.1813 at a Habitat for Humanity Restore for $15.00.
Paid $50.00 to have it serviced and it works like a dream.
The technician said it should last another 50 years with proper maintenance.
Anyway, I'm only in it for $65.00 total, and I have an awesome machine that will do everything I need for at least a few years.
Maybe that might be an option for someone just starting out and not wanting to spend a lot of money.