YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: sewing tools  (Read 10514 times)

Ann759

• View Profile
sewing tools
« on: January 18, 2018, 04:15:42 PM »
Hi there!

Newbie here. Curious what is your favorite place to shop for sewing and cutting tools, especially measuring tools like the hip ruler or the lance curve. Amazon has some but either they are too expensive or just imitation tools (not accurate) ones from China.

Thanks.

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: sewing tools
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 04:17:44 PM »
The aluminum Fairgate curves are somewhat of the industry standard. I've got 'em, but the curves many use most for pattern drafting are an old thin plastic Dritz neckline curve that looks like half a heart. Some don't measure with curves; for measurements on a curve, they use a fiberglass tape measure turned on edge. If they need to repeat a curve precisely, some mark start and stop points on it on a piece of Scotch Magic Tape.

mistycruzin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »
Joann's is listed as having the hip curve ruler.

Merideth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 04:19:02 PM »
Wawak.com have a pretty good selection.

JCarroll217

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »
the Fairgate curves all the time (short & long vary form curves.) If you hunt on the internet, you can get a basic set or individual curves very reasonably. I also have some Omnigrid rulers of varying lengths. Check out Amazon. If you're a prime member, you won't have to pay shipping.

June Moran

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
Buy from Amazon. For hip curves and L squares, Lance and Fairgate are reliable brands. They are almost always more expensive at the Manhattan stores I frequent: Sil Thread and Steinlauf and Stoller. For the small French curve called the Dietzgen No. 17, a no-name curve is fine.

I have several 2 x 18" clear , red gridded rulers. A 1 x 6" ruler 8d also very handy. I have other measuring tools but these are the most basic.

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 04:21:54 PM »
Also Nancy's Notions has a huge selection, and they also have sales and clearance items. As mentioned Amazon (especially sewing books), Allbrands for sewing machine attachments/feet, and  Kai scissors from here on PR. I can't remember if I got my curve runner from Nancy's Notions or PR, but it's available both places. Clear rulers and rotary cutters/mats are essential in sewing.

silvia_boni

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 08:02:01 AM »
Thank you for the tips. I'll get ready with my gear fir the 1st webinar! Have a good day

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 02:10:02 PM »
Great Sylvia! Look forward to seeing you there.