YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: pattern magazines for beginners  (Read 343 times)

Lilly

• View Profile
pattern magazines for beginners
« on: January 17, 2018, 04:22:40 PM »
So, on a recent IG post, I realized that some new seamstresses are not aware that you can start slow, and not need to jump right into the Burdastyle universe.

So, if you're new to sewing and interested in EU pattern magazines, here's a list.

1) BurdaStyle Magazine (DE but translated in various languages):
This version has simpler garments, more accessible to beginners. Still trendy but things that you can conceivably decided to make just from looking at the pictures.

It is heavily illustrated, with step-by-step instructions more alike to US sleeve patterns like Simplicity or Vogue.

Burda Easy Fashion Spring 2016

Burda Easy Fashion Fall 2016

Note that I'm linking from the Russian site because it is the only one, AFAIK, that shows member garments on the same page as the pattern information.

2) La Maison Victor (FR):

I've seen photos on IG of their special issue for beginners but it's not up on their site.

New, trendy sewing magazine available in NL, FR, and DE (and maybe EN? not sure)

I will try to update this over time.

If you know of a special issue of the popular EU sewing mags that is specifically for beginners, please add it here.

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: pattern magazines for beginners
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 04:23:00 PM »
The Italian magazine La Mia Boutique has a few "facile" - that is, "easy" patterns in each issue. Everything's in Italian.

I just got my first issue in the mail this week. I cannot vouch for any of the patterns. But in eyeballing the easy ones, they indeed look easy - an unlined kimono-sleeve jacket, a sheath dress, a wrap dress, a peasant-style long dress, a couple of skirts, some knit pants.

The magazine illustrates techniques in a "technique" section so you can understand, for example, how to set in a sleeve or install a zipper. Then each pattern has a step-by-step un-illustrated narrative about how to put the garment together. You'd have to know how to do a lot of basic sewing, such as make a dart or sew in a neckline facing.

The most challenging part of this for a beginner (assuming some knowledge of Italian) would probably be to make sense of the multi-pattern pages, trace out the pieces you want, add seam allowances, and transfer all the pattern markings.

wildcat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 04:23:54 PM »
Ottobre Woman (or Ottobre Design if you are sewing for kids) might be a good starter pattern magazine. I find their instructions clearer than Burda's and many of their patterns are not complex.

db415

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:24:49 PM »
DH's favorite PJs are the ones I made him from a pattern from an older Burda magazine.

silvia_boni

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 08:16:13 AM »
Just to let you know that if any of would like a translation from italian, French or German I will gladly help out.... as I probably will need, at some point, some clarification or synonym of your English.... if you wouldn't mind.... grazie, merci oder Danke! 

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:12:06 PM »
Thanks Sylvia we will get with you if this comes up!