YOU GOT QUESTIONS? I HAVE ANSWERS! I will answer here personally - Shannon Leger

Author Topic: Finishing seams  (Read 10672 times)

Amanda Bush

• View Profile
Finishing seams
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:55:40 PM »
I now have a machine with an "overlock" stitch, which I know is the fake version of a serger, but anyway. I also now have zig zag capability. But I don't understand the mechanics of finishing seam edges. You don't do it after you sew the seams, do you? But if you finish them beforehand, don't you obliterate your notches?

I have these new stitch capabilities and no idea how/when to use them. I look forward to your classes Shannon.

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
Re: Finishing seams
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 03:56:05 PM »
When I was learning to sew in the early Jurassic, we finished seam edges after the seam was sewn, and before it was crossed by another seam. And because it was the only stitch any machine I had access to made, I mostly either straight-stitched about 3/8" in from the cut edge and then pinked, or I used seams like flat fell or french seams that enclosed the edges. Bound seams were saved for Grand Projects. Plus, I didn't like the extra bulk.

And that is why I love sergers.

Yvette

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 03:56:43 PM »
I use my machine's 'overlock foot' and finish my seams prior to construction. I have become adept as preserving the notches either by holding down the point as the presser foot passes over it OR stopping just before and restarting on the other side.

TopAlex

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 03:57:52 PM »
I overlock first, mark after.

Janiesgotagun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 03:58:30 PM »
Before I had a serger I used the edge stitch a lot. I think your overlock stitch is the same as an edge stitch. I sewed the seam, trimmed it down if needed to 1/4" or so, and then edge stitched. The stitch I am talking about is a few straight stitches then a zig zag to the edge, repeat. There is a special foot to use for this stitch and it helps make a nice flat stitch. I didn't notice any bulk at all and preferred it to a regular zig-zag. I still use it in places the serger can't go. It's a very handy machine function to have!

yralee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 11:16:43 AM »
Looking forward to all lessons. I need input input...lol

Administrator

• Administrator

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 01:25:17 PM »
I understand that. The issue with trying to watch a video is you can't ask questions. Look forward to seeing you there. The interest in the webinars is far beyond what I realized it would be.